The earth is repeatedly held to be flat. Near Baroda, Gujarat, is situated the Jambudvip institute that was set up to try to prove the Jain and Arya-Vaishnava belief that the Earth is flat.
- Flat Earth . The earth was universally held to be flat.
- Earth-Serpent . The earth is supported by a 1000-headed serpent.
- Wine Sea . The earth floats in a sea of wine
- Demonic Eclipses . 2 demons swallow the Earth and Moon, leading thereby to eclipses.
- Trillion-Year-Old Universe . The universe is 26 trillion years old as per the numbers cooked up by some rishi.
- 700,000 mile Mt. Meru . Mt Meru is 100,000 times higher than Mt. Everest.
- Dung Medicine . Ayurvedic medicine contains urine and dung of various animals as ingredients.
- Alcohol Universe . The universe is filled with alcohol.
A whole set of nonsense is propagated in the Vedas and Puranas :
- The wind drives the stars around the pole according to the Vayu Purana [al B i 241]
- The Pancavimsa Brahmana wanted to measure the distance between heaven to Earth by imagining 1000 cows placed on top of each other [ S & T xvi.8.1 and xxi.19 ].
- Sun journeys from east to west in a chariot drawn by 7 horses [ Panda 69 ].
- Moon came out after the ocean was churned by the devas and demons [ Panda 69 ].
- 27 stars = 27 wives of the moon [ Panda 69 ].
- 2 demons Rahu and Ketu swallow the Sun and moon periodically, leading to eclipses.